No. 22 Wisconsin (20-9, 11-5) looks for their first win in East Lansing since 2004 against No. 10 Michigan State (22-7, 11-5).
Appling scored 19 points in Michigan State's win over Wisconsin earlier this season.
2 Players to Watch
Michigan State Junior Guard Keith Appling
Last season, Appling averaged 16.3 points in three games against Wisconsin. The junior scored 19 in his last meeting against the Badgers.
Wisconsin Senior Forward Jared Berggren
The Naismith Award Finalist has his work cut out for him today against Michigan State's front line of Adreian Payne and Derrick Nix. The senior needs a big performance for the Badgers tonight.
4 Keys to the Game
1. Take Care of the Payne
Over the last 14 games, Adreian Payne is averaging 12.4 points, shooting 63-of-160 (.594) from the field, including 12-of-24 from 3-point range. In the last four games, he's averaging 15.3 points and 12.0 rebounds.
Payne is averaging 15 points and 12 rebounds over his last four games.
2. Slow Down Appling
Keith Appling is averaging 13.2 points in six career games against the Badgers, shooting .463 from the field, including 17.0 points in his last four games. In the most recent meeting, he scored a game-high 19 points against Wisconsin.
3. Defend the Perimeter
Since the start of Big Ten play, Michigan State has been shooting better from 3-point range. Over the last 16 games, the Spartans are shooting .367 (87-of-237) from behind the arc, ranking second in the Big Ten.
4. Win the Turnover Battle
On the season, Michigan State is 12-1 when committing the same number or fewer turnovers than its opponent.
7 Notable Stats
- Thursday’s game will mark the 134th meeting between Wisconsin and Michigan State, with the series dating back to 1922.
- The Spartans leads the all-time series, 73-60, including a 45-14 edge in East Lansing.
- Wisconsin is 13-10 against the Spartans under Bo Ryan, but Michigan State has won 4 in a row in the series.
- Ryan’s teams won in each of their ﬁrst 2 visits to East Lansing, but have since lost 7 in a row. Wisconsin's last win at the Breslin Center was a 68-64 OT win in 2004.
- Excluding neutral site games, the home team has won 12 of the last 13 meetings in the Wisconsin-Michigan State series (last year’s MSU win in Madison is the lone exception).
- At least one team has been ranked in 22 of the last 23 meetings. This marks the 8th time in the last 12 meetings that both schools are ranked in the AP poll.
- Bo Ryan (.708) and Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo (.686) currently rank 1st and 4th, respectively in career Big Ten win percentage.
Already have an account? Sign In